ST. LOUIS COUNTY LIBRARY
St. Louis County Farmers’ Mutual Fire Insurance Policy Ledger
The Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company of St. Louis County, Missouri, was organized and incorporated in 1875 by a group of farmers in St. Louis County, most of whom were members of the Concord Farmers Club. The Concord Farmers Club still exists in St. Louis today, primarily as a social venue. The rise of mutual insurance companies among Missouri farmers was part of the farmers’ movements of the late 19th Century, in which farmers in Missouri and elsewhere organized to protect their financial interests from the influence of big business and the perils of falling food prices. Farmers throughout the United States formed cooperatives, granges and even political parties to improve their circumstances. Mutual insurance companies were among those organizations, allowing farmers to become member/owners of their own local insurance companies, instead of paying the higher rates offered by large insurance companies. In 1874, the General Assembly of the State of Missouri had passed an “An Act providing for the incorporation and management of local insurance companies,” which made these organizations possible in Missouri. The Farmers’ Mutual Fire Insurance Company of St. Louis County, Missouri continued to insure farmers against fire until its dissolution in 2000.
The ledger, which dates from 1875-1880, includes policies for St. Louis area residents and businesses. Policies include the name of the insured and the items being insured against loss, as well as insurance rates and membership fees.
Rights and Reproductions
The St. Louis County Farmers’ Mutual Fire Insurance Policy Ledger is in the public domain. The ledger was provided by the St. Louis County Library Special Collections Department.
How to Use This Collection
Each page is indexed by name in the subject field. To search for a particular name in the collection, click on the “Search Collection” button and search using a Last Name, First Name format or search by last name only.
View the Collection Search the Collection